An array of spices and flavorful beef and potatoes make this Bangladeshi beef curry dish a satisfying dinner.
Recipe: Beef Curry
- 2 pounds boneless beef stew meat
- 1 cup onions, coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic
- 14 ounces potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 to 7 green chiles
- brown sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- Saute onions in a medium or large skillet until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and garam marsala and roast together in the skillet for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the turmeric, red chili powder, ground coriander and cumin and allow mixture to fry for a few more minutes.
- Next, add the beef and stir to coat it in the spice mixture. Add water to cover the beef and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour and a half, or until the meat is cooked through.
- Add potatoes for the last 30 minutes of cook time.
- Add yogurt, ghee, lime juice and brown sugar and stir well.
- Once potatoes and meat are tender, remove from heat and stir in green chiles.
- Serve over rice or flatbread and garnish with cilantro.