“My mom always made this pound cake when I was growing up, usually for the holidays. I remember it being a treat to have a slice for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. I’ve started making it every year for Thanksgiving as well, but I put my own spin on it: Throwing in some fresh cranberries and drizzling an orange glaze over the top. It’s also delicious in the summer with fresh blueberries in it.”
– Emma Kent, multimedia editor
- 1 ½ cups butter-flavored Crisco
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream Crisco and sugar together with either a hand or stand mixer.
- Add eggs 1 at a time. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the dry mixture to the Crisco/sugar mixture alternating with milk.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan for 50-60 minutes.