Our bumbleberry pie is flaky and flavorful. We combine strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and apples for a tart — yet sweet — dessert.
- For the crust
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 7-9 tablespoons ice cold water
- For the filling
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 apples
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, sugar and butter. Gradually add in ice water, until a dough just forms.
- Gather into a ball, divide into two equal parts, wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill for an hour.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare the filling.
- Wash all berries, and remove any stems.
- In a large bowl, combine cored and diced strawberries, and halved raspberries and blackberries.
- Peel, core and cube apples, and add to bowl.
- Add lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla; followed by flour, salt and sugar.
- Stir until well combined, and set aside.
- Roll out half of the pie dough to fit 1 9-inch pie dish. Add filling.
- Roll out the remaining crust to top the pie as desired. If using a solid sheet of pie dough instead of a design, be sure to cut slits to ventilate the pie.
- Mix egg and water together, and brush pie crust with egg wash; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.