Velvety, creamy, savory, spicy – this soup has it all.
Cajun Pumpkin Soup
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 lemon
- Peel, seed and cube the pumpkin.
- On one or two greased baking sheets, evenly spread pumpkin cubes, and season with Cajun seasoning.
- Roast the pumpkin at 350 for 30 minutes, until softened.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on a medium-low heat.
- Press the garlic, and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the diced onion, and sauté until soft, about five minutes.
- Purée the pumpkin and sautéed vegetables until smooth, using milk and veggie stock as needed.
- Once smooth, return the purée to the pot, adding any remaining liquids and spices.
- Allow it to simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, pumpkin seeds, chili flake and bread.