Few things are as comforting as a table full of Southern staples, like this cole slaw.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Grate the cabbage and carrots, and use a cheesecloth to squeeze out excess liquid before transferring to a bowl.
- Grate the onion and transfer directly to the bowl without using the cheesecloth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, buttermilk, lemon, vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over the veggies, and use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix until incorporated.
- Keep in the refrigerator until serving.