Few things are as comforting as a table full of Southern staples, like these collard greens.
- 2 bundles of collard greens
- 3/4 pound bacon
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Rinse and drain the collards, and cut the stems off.
- Chop the bacon into one-inch pieces, and cook over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet until crispy.
- Drain the bacon bits on a paper towel, and set aside.
- In the fat renderings, sauté the onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the collards, followed by the seasonings, and continue cooking until the collards begin to soften and become pliable, stirring and rotating from time to time over the next 10 minutes.
- Once slightly softened, pour in the chicken broth, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for another 45 minutes, or until the broth has reduced slightly and the collards are very tender.