by Kristina Domitrovich // photos by Lindsay Pace
A wooden plaque, about 15×9 inches
A five-sided wooden box, about 6x6x6 inches
Heavy duty plastic liner
Staples & Staple gun
Outdoor wall mounting kit**
You can buy pre-made plaques and boxes in local craft and hardware stores, or you can make them yourself. **The best mounting device will differ depending upon your house’s exterior; it’s best to ask someone at your local hardware store.
- Cut the plastic liner to fit inside the box, and staple it into place.
- Use a drill to add drainage holes to the box, and make sure there are holes in the liner that align with the box’s holes for proper drainage.
- Paint the plaque and the outside of the box as desired, and let dry completely.
- Align the box with the edge of the plaque, and screw the box onto the plaque. Note: Depending upon where this will be situated on your house, the box planter may cast a shadow over the house numbers. To avoid this, simply switch what side the numbers will be displayed with the box planter.
- Secure the house numbers according to packaging.
- Mount on the exterior of your home.
- Fill with soil, followed by a plant, and thoroughly water.