Stuffed with kalamata olives, feta cheese and balsamic flavored orzo, these stuffed peppers are a great side dish or even a main course.
Greek Orzo Stuffed Red Peppers
- 3 red bell peppers, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 cup dry orzo or quinoa
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, toss the peppers with the olive oil, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the oregano. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are beginning to char.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain and toss with the balsamic vinegar, olives, pine nuts and feta.
- Make the lemon basil tomatoes by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stuff the warm orzo inside the peppers. Top with lemon basil tomatoes.