If you’re looking for a bright and zesty treat, consider our lemon poppy seed cake. Topped with lemon buttercream and candied lemon peels, this dessert is as tasty as it is stunning.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Lemon Buttercream
- 4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8-10 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 8-inch circular cake sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and poppy seeds, and stir until just combined.
- By hand or using a mixer, combine eggs, olive oil, vanilla, sour cream and lemon juice.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Using a mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in salt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, and beat until combined.
- Slowly incorporate powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Decorate as desired, and top with candied lemon peel.