A little Italian and a little southern.
Pesto Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, divided
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced & zested
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add chicken breasts.
- Reduce heat to low, and cover; cook for 10-15 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- In a blender, combine basil, garlic, spinach, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Pulse until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Drain the chicken, and move to a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Using a whisk attachment or hand mixer, shred the chicken.
- Add in the pesto, mayonnaise, onion and remaining pine nuts, and mix until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate until serving on crackers, bread or on a bed of salad.