Fall: That time of year to dust off the sweaters, put on some fuzzy socks, and get comfy while drinking a PSLs. Since these cozy drinks are only socially acceptable once a year (a bummer), you have to capitalize on them while you can. But don’t hand fists full of cash over the counter – make these at home. The best part? You can now look those once-a-year naysayers in the eye while you down PSL in spring, or really any time of year you want.
- For the PS simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar*
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the PSL:
- 2 shots of espresso – or 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons PS simple syrup
- Sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- In a medium pot, combine all the PS simple syrup ingredients together.
- Whisk over a medium heat, allowing the contents to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- The mixture should be smooth and slightly thickened; at this point, remove from heat.
- Combine to PSL immediately while it's hot, or allow it to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Make the espresso or the coffee using preferred coffee grounds.
- In a small pot, add the almond milk.
- Bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, and immediate use a milk frother or a French press to froth.**
- In a mug, add coffee, PS simple syrup and milk. Top with preferred spices, and enjoy.
*Try coconut sugar instead of cane sugar for a low-sugar/low-GI option.
** A securely closed mason jar can also work. But use with caution, as the jar will be very hot while vigorously shaking.