There’s nothing like the tangy taste of rhubarb, and when mixed with sweet strawberries the early spring produce makes a delicious filling for any pie, tart or galette.
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Zest of one orange
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 teaspoon of heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cardamom and orange zest. Add the strawberries and rhubarb and toss to completely coat. Let sit for 15 minutes before placing onto the crust.
- To prepare the crust, place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out, starting from the center, into a circle (or as close as you can get it) 14 inches across.
- Place the filling contents into the center of the circle, trying to leave excess liquid in the bowl, and then gently spread around the circle to within two inches of the edge.
- Fold the edges of the dough up over the filling, overlapping the dough if necessary, and gently pressing the creases to ensure that creases are sealed.
- Prepare the egg wash by combining the beaten egg with the teaspoon of heavy cream. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.