This healthy salad offers up a new way to eat fall squash and a tasty way to introduce your family to quinoa at the holidays.
Butternut Squash & Quinoa Salad
- 1 small butternut squash, about 3 cups, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place butternut squash on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until squash is tender and beginning to brown around edges.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa to the pan and toast for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan; cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Transfer quinoa to a large serving bowl. Gently fold in butternut squash, cranberries, parsley, scallions, pumpkin seeds, feta cheese and pomegranate seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle balsamic glaze over top and serve.