With influences from Mexico, Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes like these carne asada tacos capture the flavor of the Southwest.
Carne Asada Tacos
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados
- 3 tablespoons cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup onion, finely diced
- Flour tortillas
- limes, for garnish
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, 1/2 cup cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Add the steak to glass baking tray and pour the marinade on top. Ensure both sides of the steak are coated, then cover the baking tray with plastic wrap and marinate for 1-4 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook the steak, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side, or until meat is cooked to your preference.
- Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for another 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, slice the carne asada at an angle against the grain. From there, you can further chop the carne asada into smaller pieces.
- Use a spoon to mash the avocado and spread a large spoonful or two onto each tortilla. Top the avocado with steak, cotija cheese, some diced onion and fresh cilantro. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top and serve.