This salad features fresh summer green beans and snow peas at their finest — slightly charred, still crisp and with a delicious dressing.
Charred Green Bean and Pea Salad
- 2 dried chiles
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1½ inch piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1½ pounds fresh green beans and sugar snap peas, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- Cook chiles, garlic, ginger, black pepper, cumin and 1/3 cup oil in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden and oil is very fragrant, about 5–8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and maple syrup; set dressing aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oven on broil. Place beans and/or peas on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season generously with salt, toss to coat, and spread out beans in a single layer. Broil, undisturbed, until tender and blistered all over, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Arrange beans and peas on a platter and spoon reserved dressing over; season with more salt.