This chicken curry features fresh ginger, cilantro and serrano peppers. But it’s the long list of spices used in this dish that really bring it to life.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1-2 serrano peppers, minced
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin and excess fat removed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions for 10-12 more minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring often.
- Add ginger, garlic and serrano peppers and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add chicken thighs and cook until they begin to brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, yogurt, cilantro and about 2 teaspoons salt. Stir well, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add Garam masala and stir well. Garnish with cilantro to serve.