“My mom would whip this up whenever we had company over at my family’s cottage over the summer. It’s deliciously sweet with a perfect caramel flavor and feeds a good number of people. I think it makes a great breakfast dish for the holidays or a lazy Sunday morning.”
– Lauren Wood, creative director
- 1 loaf egg bread or bread of choice (we used brioche)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Arrange enough bread slices to cover bottom of a 13x9 baking dish in a single layer. Layer remaining bread in dish, overlapping the bottom layer, and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Evenly pour mixture over bread.
- Cover pan and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Remove cover from pan and check that the milk mixture has been completely absorbed by the bread. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, in a pot on the stove over low heat, melt butter with sugar and syrup, whisking occasionally.
- Remove casserole from oven and evenly pour syrup over bread slices.
- Bake five more minutes or until bubbling. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve.