Spiders, snails and caterpillars, oh my! It’s super fun to make these cute critters, and you can use your imagination to create your own.
Recipe: Healthy Critter Snacks
- 1 heart celery
- 1 apple
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- creamy peanut butter
- cream cheese, at room temperature
- pretzel sticks
- whole wheat bread
- jam or jelly
- mini chocolate chips
- biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter
- To make a caterpillar, cut a 2-3 inch piece of celery to use as the caterpillar’s base and fill with cream cheese. Chop another piece of celery into small slices and place them on top of the cream cheese to create the caterpillar’s back. Leave space on one end of the caterpillar for its head. Place a small tomato in that space and secure two chocolate chip eyes to it using cream cheese. Use small celery ribbons as antennae.
- To make a snail, create a celery base and fill with peanut butter. Take a thin apple slice and place it on top of the celery to create the shell, leaving space on one end of the celery for the head. Place a small dollop of peanut butter in that space to create the head and place to chocolate chips on top as eyes. Use two small pretzel stick pieces as antennae. For another type of snail, repeat the process using a smaller celery base, cream cheese and a halved tomato as the shell.
- To make a spider, cut two circles from a slice of bread and spread peanut butter on one and jelly on the other. Put them together to make a sandwich. Create legs by sticking pretzel sticks into each side of the sandwich. Place two chocolate chips on top for eyes.