Think of this soup as tomato soup’s spicier and heartier cousin. The red lentils give it plenty of protein to fill you up, and the ginger gives it a flavorful kick. And it’s pretty healthy, too.
Spicy Sweet Potato & Cabbage Soup
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 8 ounces shredded purple cabbage
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add in the sweet potatoes and cook until softened.
- Stir in the rest of the veggies and crushed garlic and continue to cook everything until softened and vibrant in color. Once all of the vegetables are cooked through, allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Then, in a blender, combine these with the vegetable broth, paprika, cumin, chili flakes and coconut milk, then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust spices if needed and salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the pecan topping, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and toss the pecans with the smoked paprika, honey and soy sauce. Place these onto a small sheet pan and roast in the oven until toasted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Allow pecans to cool before roughly chopping. Serve the soup warmed through with a generous sprinkling of the pecan topping.