This cheesy lasagna is perfect for a school night and comes together in 30 minutes.
Recipe: Skillet Lasagna
- 1 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground beef
- garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, parsley), divided
- 8 ounces bow-tie pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Pour can of diced tomatoes (with juices) into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until the mixture measures 4 cups. Stir in tomato sauce and sugar and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil; tilt pan to coat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add ground beef and cook until done. Drain grease, season meat with garlic salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs.
- Add uncooked pasta to skillet with the meat and pour tomato mixture over pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, covered, stirring every 5 minutes. Cook until pasta is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more garlic salt, pepper, and/or sugar, if necessary. Remove from heat and dollop heaping tablespoons of ricotta all over surface of pasta mixture.
- Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining fresh herbs and Parmesan to serve.