A comforting chicken soup packed full of good-for-you ingredients like quinoa, red cabbage, spinach, ginger and turmeric.
Thai Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 small chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut into half circles
- 1 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 13-ounce cans light coconut milk + 1 can of water
- ½ cup red or white quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach
- fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- Cook the chicken first. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken breasts in skillet on both sides then cover, reduce heat to low and let cook until chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Once cooked, shred chicken and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine ginger, turmeric, curry powder, salt and olive oil and mash/stir well with the back of a spoon until well combined to make a paste.
- In a medium soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat and add seasoning paste. Stir/cook until spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add to the soup pot coconut milk, water, red cabbage and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and fresh lime juice and remove from heat.
- Once spinach is wilted, ladle into bowls to serve. Top with red cabbage and fresh basil.