These crispy, spicy vegetable samosas are a perfect appetizer or side dish when serving Indian food. Dip them in your favorite chutney for extra flavor.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
- samosa or spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Wash and peel potatoes, then boil them until they are soft. Transfer them to a bowl and mash.
- Combine coriander, cumin seeds and 2 tablespoons oil in a wok on the stove and fry for a few minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper and turmeric and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes, cooked peas, jalapeno and cilantro to the wok. Stir for about a minute, or until everything is evenly mixed. Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Once cool, place a tablespoon of the mixture on one of your wrappers and fold into a triangular shape. Repeat until all wrappers are filled.
- Seal each wrapper by folding the edges and brushing them with beaten egg.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in your wok on high heat (there should be enough to fully cover the samosas). Once the oil is hot, fry the samosas in the wok until golden brown.