An apple a day really does keep the doctor away, and this apple butter is just what the doctor prescribed. It’s so simple and easy to make, plus the house will smell amazing while it’s doing its thing in the slow cooker.
- 1 5-pound bag of apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A dash of salt
- Core and chop all apples, leaving the peel on, and add to the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together all the spices and sugar.
- Coat the apples in the dry mixture, and mix until evenly coated.
- Cover with lid, and cook on low for 10 hours.
- After 10 hours, use an immersive blender or a stand blender to puree the apples.
- Return the puree to the slow cooker, and replace the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape.
- Cook on low for another one to two hours until the consistency is the desired thickness.
- Store in an air-tight jar, refrigerate or freeze for up to two months.